Welcome to my blog

Hello and welcome to my blog. I enjoy messing around creating websites, YouTube videos, blogs and other stuff. I write this blog in my spare time to share my enthusiasm for technology, gadgets and the internet.

31/12/2009

Netgear 85 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Switch Kit XEB1004

I got the homeplugs I talked about in the previous post today. They seem to work well, until I start yawcam. Every time I start yawcam with ftp enabled, the network connectivity suddenly vanishes and I can't get it back without restarting the laptop. I have no idea why this happens, I have tried using normal ftp (FireFTP for me) and loads of other webcam programs and they all work fine except yawcam. Update: This is a problem with yawcam and certain network cards so it does not affect this product.
I have also discovered that a FreeDNS Update can now detect my external ip address, which it didn't use to when I was using wifi.I can confirm (You can too by looking at the pictures!) that they work through extension leads. I decided to get these because we got an extension on our house and I wanted to access the internet from the extension. Because the electricals for the extension didn't fit on to the existing fuse board (I'm not sure if that's what its called but I'm talking about the thing where you sometimes have to flick the switch back if one of the light bulbs go.) ,we had to get an additional fuse board for the extension which was put next to the existing one. The router (and one of the homeplugs) is on the original fuse board and the other homeplug is on the new fuse board. They seem to work fine across fuse boards giving a speed of around 65-70Mbps. The homeplugs come with two ethernet cables that are 5 feet long.
I used google product search to find these about half the price I found them for originally on amazon.

Update: Wow, I've just checked the website I bought it from and the price has gone up so much!
Update 2: It's  gone back down again. I have no idea why it fluctuated so much.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting that these work through extension leads: my ZyXEL ones don't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a Netgear Powerline HDX101 that works great but at around 7pm - 10pm , I lose internet connection. I have no restrictions on my router (wireless works great) but onlythe powerline lose connectivity to the internet. Any ideas? Need help. Thanks
    Bobby (rbautist@optonline.net)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you got a device on a timer that is set to come on at that time bobby? as some devices cause a lot of interference that could stop them from working

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I originally left a comment I appear
    to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are
    added- checkbox and from now on whenever a comment is added I receive 4
    emails with the same comment. Perhaps there is
    a means you are able to remove me from that service? Thanks a lot!



    My website - homepage ()

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      Is there an unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email?
      Clicking that should stop the emails notifying you of new comments.

      Delete

Please do not post comments with links to unrelated websites. They will not even pass through the moderation, so just don't bother.
Otherwise, you are very welcome to comment.